Sardarshahr Historical Background
A tiny village named Rajiawas, in the erstwhile state of Bikaner, was picked up by his highness Sir Ratan Singh to be developed into a city in the name of his loving son Sardar Singh in 1890. The area was perhaps ruled by the Mohils of that time. A statue of Indrapal Mohil at the town side is a testimony to the fact .The area in the thick of Thar desert is characterized by huge mounts of sand dunes, blow hot and cold temperature, a natural habitat for cattle feed.
The important milestones in the development of the city have been:
- Facility of Rail service in 1916.
- Establishment of Ganga Golden Jubilee high school in 1937.
- Roadways bus depot in 1974.
- Beginning of SBBJ banking activities in 1938.
- Postal services 1928.
- Foundation of girls collage (Smt. K.D.G.D.Mittal Girls College ) in 1981.
- Public library in 1909.
- Mega highway in 2008.
Since its establishment, the to town of Sardarsahar has been steadily developing into a prosperous city, though its progress was punctured by the disastrous femine of 1899.
Presently it is a Tehsil headquarter covering 210 villages and having population more than one lakh.
The salient features of the city and the area:
- The city is famous for its architectural grandeur. Its white marble tower is a unique feat of architecture. Its height is 60 feet and the upper minarate set is 30 feet high. Angloswiss watches from Switzerland are embedded on its four sides. The town is also famous for its architectural and wall painting. Ichchhapurna Balaji Temple at Ratangarh road is growing into a religious and tourist centre due to its architecture and design.
- The feedback area for the college education is a unique mix of poor peasantry from wast country side and a pool of rich trading community of Oshwals and Aggrawals.
- The area is rich in live stock and hence an important mandi of ghee, milk and milk product.
- Political awareness and maturity of the area has its own reckoning. National level leaders Shri Daulat Ram Saharan and Chandanmal Baid are worthy sons of the soil.
- Presence of its trading communities known as Mawaries in the metro cities of Colkata, Banglore, Channai, Delhi & Hydrabad has earned a reputation for the state of Rajasthan. Currently amount of transactions of SBBJ is at no. 1 in the entire region. The city is a holy seat for almost all the leading religions. The Achrayas of sanatan Dharma and that ofJain dharma often organize their annual all India congregations at this town.
- It is the only town in the entire region to have a primate university providing all sorts of education up to the highest level.
Moreover and most important is the fact that the place is beautiful and its people are lively-truely an oasis place in the heart of Thar Dessert.